» TomeNET monster search
» TomeNET servers
» Getting started
» Online TomeNET Guide
» Installation on Linux
» FAQs and HOWTOs
Mikaelh's TomeNET site
If you're new to TomeNET, you may also want to visit the official website at https://www.tomenet.eu/.
- 20.11.2018: TomeNET version 4.7.2 released.
- 19.08.2017: TomeNET version 4.7.1a released. This is a maintenance release for the client.
- 11.03.2017: TomeNET version 4.7.1 released.
- 19.12.2016: TomeNET version 4.7.0b released.
- 09.10.2016: TomeNET version 4.7.0a released. This is a hotfix release.
- 08.10.2016: TomeNET version 4.7.0 released. This is our biggest release in a long time. Check the official forums for the list of changes.
- 31.12.2015: TomeNET version 4.6.1a released. New command Ctrl-G (roguelike: Ctrl-Z) for picking up a single item from a stack on the floor.
- 21.12.2015: TomeNET version 4.6.1 released.
- 03.05.2015: TomeNET version 4.6.0 released. Spoiler page updated to reflect dungeon location changes few weeks ago.
- 01.02.2015: TomeNET version 4.5.9 released. We are also switching from tomenet.net domain to tomenet.eu. Make sure to update your bookmarks etc.
- 21.12.2014: TomeNET version 4.5.8a released.
- 13.12.2014: DNS servers for tomenet.net are not responding for an unknown reason. The game server is still up. Use the IP address 220.127.116.11 or start the client using TomeNET-direct.bat.
- 13.10.2014: TomeNET version 4.5.8 released.
- 02.09.2014: TomeNET version 4.5.7b has been released. List of changes is here: https://www.tomenet.eu/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58&start=50#p1860
- 03.08.2014: Version 4.5.7a was hotfixed. Please re-download the client to avoid running into bugs.
- 01.08.2014: TomeNET version 4.5.7a has been released. List of changes is here: https://www.tomenet.eu/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58&p=1847#p1847
- 19.05.2014: TomeNET version 4.5.7 is out!
- 29.12.2013: TomeNET version 4.5.6 has been released.
- 10.11.2013: TomeNET version 4.5.5 has been released. See the download section for the files. Changelog is on the forums as usual.
- 14.08.2013: TomeNET version 4.5.4 has been released.
- 18.05.2013: TomeNET version 4.5.3b has been released.
- 26.02.2013: TomeNET version 4.5.3a has been released.
- 01.02.2013: Another update for 4.5.3. Please download again if you have issues with 4.5.3.
- 31.01.2013: The 4.5.3 release has been updated. The new client builds and source code are now up. Please download the updated version.
- 30.01.2013: TomeNET version 4.5.3 is here! TomeNET-453-client.zip (1.6 MB). This release features the latest update to runecraft.
- 13.01.2013: TomeNET version 4.5.2 is out! TomeNET-452-client.zip (1.5 MB). Many changes with this release, full list is on the forums. Windows server build for 4.5.1a is also available. Version 4.5.2 server for Windows is not available yet because of some issues.
- 22.12.2012: TomeNET version 4.5.1a is out! TomeNET-451a-client.zip (1.5 MB). This release fixes a bug in the macro wizard.
- 22.12.2012: TomeNET version 4.5.1 is out! TomeNET-451-client.zip (1.5 MB). Full list of changes in on the forums.
- 09.12.2012: TomeNET version 4.5.0 is out! TomeNET-450-client.zip (1.5 MB). Runecraft has seen a major overhaul and this client is required to play with runecrafters. A new build of the Windows server is also available.
- 18.08.2012: TomeNET version 4.4.9c is out! TomeNET-449c-client.zip (1.5 MB). This release adds two new special character slots.
- 18.08.2012: TomeNET version 4.4.9b is out! TomeNET-449b-client.zip (1.5 MB). We are again pushing out important bug fixes so updating is recommended.
- 10.07.2012: TomeNET version 4.4.9a is out! TomeNET-449a-client.zip (1.5 MB). This release contains a few important bug fixes so updating is recommended.
- 07.07.2012: TomeNET version 4.4.9 has been released! TomeNET-449-client.zip (1.5 MB). One of the big changes introduced in this release is instant resurrection.
- 22.03.2012: Maps and spoilers for the RPG server have been updated.
- 03.03.2012: TomeNET version 4.4.8c is available! TomeNET-448c-client.zip (1.4 MB). This release contains a few minor improvements and fixes especially for player stores.
- 05.02.2012: Windows build of the 4.4.8b server is available. TomeNET-448b-server.zip (1.4 MB). If you want to run your own server, please see this video on YouTube by TnuocEht: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spspE5YUoos.
- 25.12.2011: TomeNET version 4.4.8b is out! TomeNET-448b-client.zip (1.4 MB). Please note that the Windows client will now automatically turn off numlock. Happy holidays!
- 20.11.2011: TomeNET version 4.4.8a is out! TomeNET-448a-client.zip (1.4 MB). This update fixes the LUA script updates that were broken in the Windows release of 4.4.8.
- 15.10.2011: TomeNET version 4.4.8 is out! TomeNET-448-client.zip (1.4 MB).
- 09.08.2011: A Windows build of the latest 4.4.7 server is finally available.
- 12.06.2011: TomeNET version 4.4.7 is out! TomeNET-447-client.zip (1.4 MB). This release introduces the Maia race.
- 04.01.2011: A new Windows build of the TomeNET server is available based on the 4.4.6b release. TomeNET 4.4.6b Server for Windows (1.4 MB). The Windows version of the server does not contain the Go mini-game.
- 02.01.2011: TomeNET version 4.4.6b has been released! TomeNET-446b-client.zip (1.4 MB). This version contains an important buffer overflow fix so you should update as soon as possible. Update: A bug was found in the release and has now been fixed. If you have already downloaded 4.4.6b, please download it again.
- 08.12.2010: TomeNET version 4.4.6a is out! TomeNET-446a-client.zip (1.4 MB). The '*.' feature introduced in 4.4.6 has been changed to '*-'.
- 29.11.2010: TomeNET version 4.4.6 has been released! TomeNET-446-client.zip (1.4 MB). This is a major release. The full changelog is available here: changes-445h-446.txt.
- 01.08.2010: TomeNET version 4.4.5h has been released! TomeNET-445h-client.zip (1.4 MB). This release should fix possible crashes after leaving a store.
- 09.07.2010: TomeNET version 4.4.5g is here! TomeNET-445g-client.zip (1.4 MB). Here's a list of changes:
- Macros work normally in stores.
- Less CPU usage when spending skill points or shopping in stores.
- 08.07.2010: Yet another hotfix called 4.4.5f is here. This fixes possible weird behaviour when browsing through other people's equipment. TomeNET-445f-client.zip (1.4 MB).
- 07.07.2010: Another hotfix called 4.4.5e is here. This fixes the problem with the chain-loading of pref files. Thanks to Caine for his report regarding this issue. TomeNET-445e-client.zip (1.4 MB).
- 07.07.2010: TomeNET version 4.4.5d is out now! This is a hotfix release fixing the sound effects not being played. Thanks to all the people who reported this issue. TomeNET-445d-client.zip (1.4 MB).
- 07.07.2010: TomeNET version 4.4.5c is available! TomeNET-445c-client.zip (1.4 MB). Here's a list of changes:
- Some optimizations to drawing and macro loading.
- Linux client displays warnings and quit reasons within the main window.
- Default size of the audio buffer has been increased.
- Pressing Ctrl-N in while typing a message shouldn't crash anymore.
- Quit reason is shown before the "Save chatlog?" prompt.
- The 'l'ook command in the client now supports color codes also when the "Add target informations to the message history" option is disabled.
- The old auto-inscribe option is back and is now called "Use additional predefined auto-inscription".
- The client no longer tries to load sound samples on the fly to avoid possible freezes.
- The Windows client no longer leaves temporary files behind after script updates.
- 20.06.2010: TomeNET version 4.4.5b is now out! TomeNET-445b-client.zip (1.4 MB). Here's a list of changes:
- Windows client now saves window positions again when quitting.
- Mixer volume controls now use exponential scaling.
- Chat messages can be up to 120 characters long.
- Macros up to 159 characters can be written in the client.
- More keys can be pressed in the mixer menu.
- The sound system now supports invidual volume levels for all samples being played.
- Game messages window is now 80 columns wide in tomenet.ini by default. If you don't want to replace your old tomenet.ini, you should edit it yourself.
- 13.06.2010: TomeNET version 4.4.5a has been released! TomeNET-445a-client.zip (1.3 MB). This version fixes the slow startup when the sound pack is installed by using a separate thread for loading the sound files.
- 09.06.2010: TomeNET version 4.4.5 is now out! TomeNET-445-client.zip (1.3 MB). This is a major release featuring the new sound system. Note: The tomenet.ini file has been changed significantly. Older tomenet.ini files will not work with this client. Make sure you also get the sound pack: TomeNET-soundpack.7z (3.2 MB). A link to the music pack can be found on the forums: https://www.tomenet.eu/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58#p350. Here's a list of changes:
- New SDL-based sound system supporting effects, weather, music and paging. CTRL+U opens the mixer, CTRL+C toggles music, and CTRL+N toggles all sound.
- Weather animation is no longer slower on Windows. The sound and music files are located in lib\xtra\sound and lib\xtra\music folders, respectively.
- Improved .tomenetrc file support on Linux.
- 'T' can be used in quick-and-dirty macros for mimic transformation.
- Client options ('=') have been cleaned up and re-organized.
- Window flags ('=W') have been cleaned up.
- Saving client options will no longer create a file with garbage in the name.
- Char names can now also be specified on the command-line, allowing complete auto-login.
- 14.05.2010: TomeNET version 4.4.4e is now available! TomeNET-444e-client.zip (854 kB). This is another small update. Here's the short list of changes:
- Client no longer asks for character mode when creating a character on an RPG server (where all characters are no-ghost).
- Latest guide and script updates.
- 11.05.2010: TomeNET version 4.4.4d is now out! Get the new client here: TomeNET-444d-client.zip (854 kB). This release only contains some final changes with regards to the new runemastery, which is now enabled on the main server. This is the recommended client for playing a runemaster.
- 05.04.2010: TomeNET version 4.4.4c is now available! Get the new client here: TomeNET-444c-client.zip (852 kB). Here's a list of changes to the client:
- Colour changes in the character overview screen and in the macro menu.
- Latest runecraft changes.
- Fixed a crash with long item names. (Linux client only)
- Supports much longer item names.
- New 'K' command to force stacking of level 0 items.
- 22.03.2010: TomeNET version 4.4.4b is now available! Get the new client here: TomeNET-444b-client.zip (851 kB). Here's a list of changes to the client:
- Fixed auto-inscriptions regarding # and empty inscriptions.
- Fixed ! trigger in auto-inscriptions.
- Added casting by name capabilities to quick'n'dirty macros (3.7b).
- Added shift+K command to forcibly combine level 0 items with other items of the same type which aren't level 0. Be warned though that the resulting stack will be level 0 again, so you won't be able to trade the items anymore.
- Visually improved pasting items to chat from within stores.
- Skill menu works faster and doesn't queue up keys anymore.
- Multi-key macros work again in the GCU client by default.
- 04.03.2010: TomeNET version 4.4.4a has been released! The new client is here: TomeNET-444a-client.zip (845 kB). Here's a list of changes to the client:
- Internal chat system improved regarding sorting in messages to chat-only/no-chat/scrollback windows, although probably hardly noticable.
- Fixed some outdated warning messages.
- Changes/additions regarding upcoming release of new Runemastery.
- Tues' patches for pasting items from within stores made it in (modified, to make them work smoothly without hardcoding stuff).
- 07.02.2010: A Windows installer for the 4.4.4 client is now available here: TomeNET-444-client.exe (921 kB).
- 31.01.2010: TomeNET version 4.4.4 released! The new client is here: TomeNET-444-client.zip (846 kB). A Windows port of the TomeNET server is also available: TomeNET-444-server.zip (1.3 MB). Note: The Windows server doesn't have metaserver support. Here's a list of notable client changes:
- Fixed a freeze bug in client net code.
- Faster graphics drawing on Windows.
- \w in macros is more accurate.
- Pressing ESC during the macro wait will cancel the wait and clear the key queue.
- Spinner animation in top right corner during \w.
- No more delays when binding macro keys.
- Status line added to character dumps.
- You can return to the first page in a shop after buying the last item from the second page.
- Runecraft patches from Relsiet.
- Fixed random character building on Windows.
- Font files don't become locked on Windows anymore.
- Added stat recommendations to character creation.
- Arrow keys work during character creation.
- Arrow keys work in the auto-inscription menu.
- New default window names for X11.
- D:<something> in pref files can be used to delete macros.
- 13.12.2009: www.tomenet.eu is back under our control and is now the official TomeNET website.
- 11.12.2009: I wrote a little script that provides a live list of all houses on the main server. The list can also be sorted by price so you can easily find the biggest house available. The list is here: https://tomenet.ielf.org/houses.php.
- 10.10.2009: A brand new client is out again. This time we're calling it version 4.4.3a. tomenet-443a-bin.zip (208 kB). Source code is available on the download page. Fixes in the client include:
- Custom tomes can be browsed in shops and list houses.
- Browsing content from the server (eg. player list or unique kill list) should be much smoother now. The screen shouldn't flicker and there shouldn't be any duplicate lines anymore.
- The graphics bug (a long line of @s) related to hostile players has been fixed.
- 20.09.2009: Fourth revision is now out. I think it's now fairly safe to say that this will probably be the last revision. Only a few bugfixes in this release. tomenet-443-r4-bin.zip (206 kB). And the full client: TomeNET-443-r4-client.zip (819 kB).
- 18.09.2009: Third revision of the 4.4.3 release is now out. This update fixes a nasty bug with casting by spell name and item selection for telekinesis is also fixed.
- 15.09.2009: One more update to the client. This one fixes normal body mode being shown as fruit bat mode.
- 14.09.2009: A hotfix for the new 4.4.3 client is out. It mainly adds new features to the auto-inscriptions system. The complete source code for the 4.4.3 is now available too. If you're upgrading a 4.4.2 server, rename the tomenet.acc file to tomenet.acc_old. Then you need to comment out the following line in nserver.c to enable the automatic update of the account file:
return FALSE; /* security, while not actively used */
- 13.09.2009: TomeNET client 4.4.3 is finally out! Here's a list of important changes:
- Weather effects are now handled in the client which reduces bandwidth used during rain.
- Mini lag-o-meter above stats.
- When creating a new character, class must now be chosen before race.
- Inventory changes shouldn't cause a wrong item to be used anymore.
- Accounts options (under the = command) allow you to change your account password.
- New script files are loaded on the fly after automatic updates.
- @ can be used to cast spells by name or to eat, quaff, read, use, aim or zap items by name.
- Eg. m@11\r@Manathrust\r will look for manathrust in all your books and scrolls and cast it.
- q@Healing\r will quaff a Potion of Healing. (note that names are case-sensitive)
- Messages sent to "%" (messages that appear to only you) no longer go through the server.
- Automatic inscriptions (menu is under &).
- Support for new runecraft developed by Relsiet.
- Skill action names work in the m menu.
- Eg. m@Cast a spell\r works now and in fact m@\r does the same.
- 13.06.2009: New TomeNET server Windows builds are available once again. The normal and 'RPG' servers are based on the 4.4.2 release. These builds contain my usual patches (first account will be an admin). I'd also like to remind everyone that there's a HOWTO on setting up your own TomeNET server.
- 14.05.2009: New getting started section for beginners.
- 24.03.2009: Client package has been updated to fix a bug with the screenshots in the death dump files.
- 20.03.2009: TomeNET client 4.4.2 is out now! TomeNET-442-client.zip (793 kB). C. Blue's forum post. The forums got hacked and the post is gone but here's a copy of it from Google's cache:
Important changes (client and server):
- Overall usability in a variety of details such as menu and list design and browsing has been improved.
- Chardumps have been improved and extended a lot.
- On death, an additional screen shot in xhtml format is taken.
- Unique monster list improved. It also remembers uniques you 'assisted in killing' (greets fly to the mang guys;) while not getting the killing blow and credit though. Those will be displayed in dark grey and in parentheses.
- Hybrid macro functionality was finally expanded on all sorts of text input prompts. (Important bugfix)
- Macro menu sports new features and more security. Also, note that you can take screen shots (CTRL+T as usual) any time while browsing it!
Explanation about quick'n'dirty macros:
You can enter an action as usual, but with certain shortcuts, to make inputting faster, which will be automatically expanded to their real functionality. Those are:
M for using a mimic's innate power
F for employing a fighting technique
S for employing a shooting technique
m for casting a spell
n for drawing a rune
p for setting up a trap
s for changing a stance
* for targetting
Example: Assumed your book is inscribed @m1 as usual, and you want to cast spell a). What you can simply enter in the q'n'd field is:
and it will automatically be expanded to '\e)m@11\r1a*t'.
- Skill chart was restructured regarding spells, to improve overview.
- A new option in =1 menu will allow you to completely hide unusable skills in the skill chart.
- Mimic targetting was fixed and mimic spell descriptions improved.
- Wilderness was made somewhat more vivid but possibly also somewhat more dangerous (mostly at night).
- World features the four seasons now (instead of just winter), which are currently set to occur synchronous to real-life ;).
- New class available: The Mindcrafter. A caster with a lot of utility spells and at the same time a fair melee fighter. One of his attack spells, the Psi-Blast, is especially tricky in terms of getting resisted or even dealing extra damage and effects. He learns most spells pretty early. His primary stat is INT, secondary for contributing a little bit to his mana pool is CHR, and very slightly WIS, quite neglectable though. He gets 4 hit dice, a max. of 4 bpr and 25% exp penalty added. He is fair at parrying, but poor at blocking.
Guide was updated once more meanwhile, to contain all the mindcrafter spells. Sorry about that o_O.
- New spellbooks are available, which start out empty without any spells, and into which, by 'A'ctivating them, players may transcribe spell scrolls (formerly named spellbooks) of their choice, to thereby create a sort of custom tome to fit the character's needs.
About an 'old' feature, the new high score list, which was added a few weeks ago, here's again an explanation how it exactly works now:
If you play a character of the same race AND class as a previous character of yours which made it on the high score list, you will not get a high score entry unless you beat your previous score! In that case, your old char in the score list will be replaced with the new one which surpassed it.
- 10.02.2009: New client 4.4.1e is finally out! TomeNET-441e-client.zip (780 kB). Changes in this release include:
- New "disable_flush" option which is a workaround for the slow shooting and explosion animations.
- World coordinates turn dark gray when you enter a no-tele vault.
- Extra status line below stamina which will be used for combat stances and fire-till-kill mode.
- The color of the depth display will tell you if you're not diving at the optimal depth. Gray means you're not going to get good experience at all and yellow means you should go a bit deeper.
- Encumberance indicator for gloves gets erased properly now.
- Improvements to the lag-o-meter:
- The lag-o-meter can now be assigned to a window.
- It is automatically turned on when you login.
- It can be found under the "Display current knowledge" menu (~) too.
- The screen is updated every second even if there's no response.
- Last line of the graph is no longer missing.
- Underscores are drawn in place of very short bars.
- 25.01.2009: The IP address of tomenet.servegame.com and metaserver.servegame.com got changed for some reason. Use the address totem.ielf.org (IP 18.104.22.168) to connect in the meantime. See this forum post.
- 30.12.2008: Item spoiler files for the main Europe server have been updated.
- 18.12.2008: Updated TomeNET server builds for Windows are available now. This time I made a special winter season server along with the normal and 'RPG' servers. As usual, the accedit tool only works if you run it in a Cygwin terminal, but these builds also include a patch that makes the first account on the server an admin. Admins can also use the /makeadmin command to make more admin accounts.
- 23.11.2008: TomeNET client 4.4.1d is out! This is an important update because the addresses of our official server and our metaserver have been changed to use dynamic DNS addresses so they can be quickly changed without another client update when we move the server. Note that tomenet.ini needs to be updated as well.
- 18.10.2008: TomeNET client 4.4.1c is out. Changes include:
- More messages in the chat window. It now shows blood bond, arena monster challenge, stealing and kinging messages.
- Maximum level is displayed in parentheses in the main window if you've lost levels.
- Fixed rogue technique names.
- 04.09.2008: TomeNET client 4.4.1b is out. This release fixes bugs in 4.4.1a and introduces some new features. Note (07.09.2008): The client package has been updated a couple of times so please re-download the latest one. Notably:
- Windows client shutdown fixed.
Font files shouldn't stay locked anymore and the client shouldn't crash either.
- Deleting a macro from a "special" key could cause all special key macros to stop working in 4.4.1a.
- Client-side support for stamina and techniques.
- Item weight overflow bugs fixed.
- Character names are limited to 19 characters (which is the server-side limit).
- 30.08.2008: After three months TomeNET 4.4.1a is finally out with many fixes and improvements! Here's a list of notable changes:
- Message recall buffer (used for CTRL-O and CTRL-P) has been doubled.
- New messages are displayed while you're typing a chat message.
- Fixed a glitch when entering a shop during the rain.
- Party and level chat modes (TAB key).
- Default macro file name when saving is <charname>.prf
- Identity macro option in the macro menu has been replaced with actual macro removal.
- Fixed making a new macro with different type on a key with an existing macro.
- Support for loading really long macros from macro files.
- Windows client supports command line options:
- -C compatiblity mode for old servers when they complain about unknown version.
- -F <number> set client fps (default is 60)
- -l <name> <pass> login using the name and the password
- -N <name> specify character name
- -p <port> specify port number
- -P <path> specify the "lib" directory path
- Macro files are no longer reloaded occasionally.
- Windows client uses name and password from TomeNET.ini to login automatically.
- Client FPS can be adjusted through the command line or the TomeNET.ini file.
- Fruit bat mode is now a body modification and can be combined with other modes.
- Inventory and equipment item names can be printed using capital letters.
- HP and SP (renamed to MP) displays have both been condensed to fit only one line each.
- New way to type large quantities: 1m3 means 1 300 000
- 30.05.2008: TomeNET 4.4.1 released! Here's a list of changes:
- Proper error message after character selection instead of "Not a reply packet after play (0,0,0)"
- Temporary files are no longer generated in drive root (eg. C:\)
- Encurberment icon added for heavy shield
- Stat descriptions when creating a new character
- Inventory window is now updated properly after *ID*
- Macro and option files are now backed up before writing a new file (no more appending)
- Windows client no longer asks for lib/file directory
- Reduced input loop polling frequency to 60Hz from 1000Hz
- 'm' command should now be completely fixed (no more garbage on screen while running and pressing 'm')
- Shop messages don't get cleared any more in the main window
- 09.05.2008: New Windows builds of the server are available: normal server (1.6 MB) and 'RPG' server (1.6 MB).
- 29.12.2007: I made new XHTML versions of my worldmaps. Maps now have their own page, too. I also added the missing link to the images to the navigation bar.
- 24.12.2007: TomeNET 4.4.0e is a recommended bugfix-release.
- No more console window
- Lag-o-meter (press TAB)
- 09.07.2007: New site layout!